Wednesday 8 January 2014

Drawing for concept artists module learning outcomes

Here are my learning outcomes for the drawing for concept artist module. Due to the errors that I am currently having with blogspot, Ill add to this post gradually to avoid losing all of my work to crashes.

Demonstrate a systematic and critical understanding of the breadth and depth of knowledge relating to contemporary drawing practice.

Here is a selection of some of my observed life drawings which I feel answer this learning outcome.









Demonstrate a comprehensive and critical understanding of techniques required for a range of drawing tasks.

Here is a selection of mixed media techniques and lifedrawings that I feel answer this learning outcome.


















Critically analyse their own work and compare this to relevant research and current professional practice.

Below is a series of abstract impressionistic pictures by the concept artist Levente Peterffy. I believe this technique, whilst done digitally, is the most clear link between the abstract thumb-nailing and media exploration techniques that I have been doing as part of the module.


I believe these thumbnails are most similar to the work I have done during the coke can pen experimentations and the initial stages of my city concept that can be seen below:







In the pictures above I have used suggesting mark making in order to create different shapes which can be interpreted and built upon in many ways. For instance the bottom right hand figure, has she got a dress on? A tail? Is it a mermaid, a dancer? Etc These types of quick drawings are very common for concept artists to do, however compared to industry standard my work here is very crude and hard to read partly due to the method it was drawn in.

I believe that this sort of picture would be kept to an artists self or as the first stage of a further sketch in order to help generate a similar set of sketches of the quality shown above rather than shown to a client who would just see a random nonsensical scribble.

My other work for this module for the city design started in a similar fashion the initial stages of which can be seen above, I took this one to a complete finish, the process shots of which can be seen on the main blog. This is the same principle as the coke pen drawings, however it is done in a digital medium where the abstractness is created using a variation of layer settings, textures and mixed media overlays. Other artists whom work this way then produce a finished picture on top are Justin Sweet, Vance Kovacks, Craig Mullins and Jae Park.

As I have found in the past I believe these methods are great way of getting started in a project where you have no clear direction that you wish to go in. However as I have found before the randomness tends to lead to mistakes if you are not careful, as is demonstrated in my city picture which can be seen from the process shots.

I really struggled to get the perspective correct and the design of buildings to work with the impressionistic textures. I feel I lost a lot of the energy and the mood in the final piece of work as a result of my further developments. This is an area that previously mentioned artists excel in, and as such I believe further study of their methods would help improve my own works using this technique.

Synthesise observation, existing and acquired knowledge in the production of original imagery

This is a selection of the reference sheets I used for various work in this module, the reference is used in order to inform my designs and create original imagery that is recognisable to the audience.

Further to this I have also done multiple thumbnails, and studies in order to inform my designs. which can be seen below.





Critically analyse and interpret visual situations in order to represent them effectively.

I believe my final illustration for the Poem best addresses this learning outcome as it is a an illustration that interprets a poem extract using visuals.



Act autonomously in the use of appropriate tools and techniques to achieve a professional result

I believe my development work for the above poem illustration best addresses this learning outcome.




 

Apply practice-based research to the development of original ideas. 

Below is various work I have done for the module which demonstrate how I have gone through various iterations to arrive at a artistic solution which I hope looks original in design.











No comments:

Post a Comment